Sunday, 10 August 2014

Five Strand Plaited Wholemeal Loaf

When I was at Leiths, I used to work some evenings and holidays setting up and washing up for the evening or week long enthusiast classes. Lots of the things the students were made were the same as we had made on the diploma – hummus and crudites, boned chicken and lemon tart were a few recipes I saw made over and over again and all brought back memories of my own experiences. However, some recipes were things we never made on the diploma: notably a 3 strand plaited loaf.DSC_0158
I can tell you from repeated experience that watching a class of 16 make (the women teaching the men how to plait, some experienced Dads revealing secret skills), bake and take away plaited loaves is not fun. That smell of freshly baked bread, multiplied by 16, fills the kitchen all morning and then vanishes as they all proudly take away their bread to show their friends and family. Us washer-uppers secretly always hoped that someone would decide not to take it home, or absent-mindedly forget it, so that we could try some but of course no one was this foolish. I always vowed to give it a go myself at home so I could finally try this bread that always looked so delicious and today I finally got round to it!DSC_0162In keeping with my indecisive ways, I upped the ante slightly with a five strand loaf and made it wholemeal so I could feel less guilty about probably eating far too much . I really want to try Paul Hollywood’s eight strand plaited loaf but get baffled every time I read the braiding instructions so I stuck with the five for now, which turned out to be surprisingly really easy. I used this recipe and my only alterations were to include all the bran in the loaf, replace half the white flour with white spelt flour and only bake it for 30 minutes. The results were delicious! I broke all Leiths rules and enjoyed it still warm out of the oven… Enjoy!

5 comments:

June Baby said...

That looks wonderful! Nothing like homemade bread :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A fabulous bread! I bet it tastes wonderful.

Cheers,

Rosa

La Table De Nana said...

Well done!

Mary said...

Wouldn't it be nice for someone to leave you a loaf!! but yours is even better with 5 strands - clever you! it looks amazing.
Mary

Mary said...

What a wonderful loaf of bread! 5 strands - wow!
Mary