Sunday 22 November 2009

Blueberry Apricot Crumble Tray Bake

Quite a name, for quite a cake.
fireworks and rain 192 I’ve made things before with lots of flavours – but this is the best. Simple cake base. Lemon yogurt topping. Blueberries sprinkled on top. Sliced apricots join them. And the crowning glory layer of crumble. But not just plain crumble, utterly delicious cinnamon crumble. All in one little square of cake. That’s my kind of cake :)
fireworks and rain 158 This scrumptious cake is from the lovely The English Kitchen blog, by Marie. Every day Marie posts something delicious – and this was from back in mid-October but I’ve only just got round to making it. My finished cake is slightly different to Marie’s, because I used frozen instead of fresh blueberries. Whilst the fresh ones sit there looking gorgeously neat and round, the frozen ones explode in juicy purple goodness…creating a rather different look!
fireworks and rain 188 The frozen blueberries also make the topping more squidgy with juice, which in turn affects the crumble topping. Because of this, I had to cook the cake for about 20minutes longer – but the cake was alright as the blueberries kept them moist. I’d like to try this cake with apples and blackberries, or pears, or a nice summer version – I’m sure it would be so versatile. The lemon yoghurt was also an interesting addition – it’s just a subtle little flavour but it really adds a little extra zing! This makes a lovely big tray of cake, perfect for big casual gatherings: it won’t last long! Thank you Marie for the charming recipe, find it here :)
fireworks and rain 172

11 comments:

Steph said...

I wish I had some fresh blueberries now, but I haven't seen them in a while. I guess that's what the frozen ones are for.

This cake looks so good. I really like how dense it looks.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those bars look divine! I'm drooling...

Cheers,

Rosa

apparentlyjessy said...

Don't blueberries and apricots and crumble topping go together so nicely!? I love the sound of this slice.
Lately I have been making a cake somewhat similar to this with blueberries, apricots, strawberries and apple, so so yummy! Must send you the link to the recipe!

Food For Tots said...

Wow! So many "gems" in a cake! Yummy! Btw, tks for dropping by at my blog. ;)

Trissa said...

I know that blueberries and yogourt are among the ten best things for you - so it is a great idea to actually have them all in one slice! Yum!

George@CulinaryTravels said...

Lucy, Firstly apologies for not stopping by your blog in ages and secondly what a gorgeous traybake. Very seasonal and delicious.

Ash said...

Oh wow Lucy! I love this cake slice. The topping does indeed look wonderful! I must try this!!

Kathy said...

Hey Lucy, We have fresh cranberries right now, so I will try this with the cranberries and my BIG Turkey for our Thanksgiving dinner. I love your new photo. Keep up the great work!! I'm cooking dinner for my family on Thanksgiving. Check back later Kathy(MeMaw) to my grandkids.

Dewi said...

Love your blueberry bar Lucy. It looks irresistible.

Patricia Scarpin said...

That looks so good! I wouldn't stop at one bar, only. ;)

Amanda said...

This looks fantastic! Keep up the great work!

Blessings!
Amanda