Wednesday 5 February 2014

French Onion Puffs

Puff pastry is one of those ingredients that I never manage to use up all at once. There is always a little bit at the end of the packet, tucked up and put back in the fridge…and then normally forgotten about until it’s too late. Leftover carrots, the end of a mozzarella ball and spare egg whites also fall into this category. Well, I’m still working on being better with those last three but I can safely say there will be no more sad bits of puff pastry languishing in my fridge in the future!DSC_0075I used the end of the flaky pastry I had made at school to make these – after spending 2 days making it from scratch there was no way this was ending up in the bin. I’d seen the original French Onion Puff recipe on Joy the Baker and knew it sounded good, but I felt a bit decadent buying and using a whole packet just for little canapĂ©s. I’m so glad I got round to trying them because the recipe did not let me down. Crispy pastry filled with sweet caramelised onions and melting cheese – a few of these still warm from the oven alongside some salad made the perfect lunch. And the rest made perfect afternoon snacks…DSC_0077I followed the recipe fairly loosely, halving it to suit my smidge of pastry (I still got 10 little puffs) and using half a mug of vegetable stock instead of wine, but to be honest I think it’s easily adaptable to any quantity of ingredients you have. These would make a very popular canapĂ© as you could make them ahead easily and just bake them off at the last minute – just be warned you may need to make a few more than you need as they are very addictive! You can find the recipe here – enjoy. DSC_0071

6 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Now I want to make these:)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Beautiful and very tempting!

Cheers,

Rosa

Jo said...

Love the sound of these, I could probably eat all 10 by myself straight from the oven!

The Caked Crusader said...

How lovely - cheese and puff pastry is an irresistible combination!

Karen @ Lemon Grove Cake Diaries said...

I have that same problem with left over bits of pastry in the fridge that eventually make their way to the bin.. I am trying to turn over a new leaf this year so I don't waste so much. This recipe is a great combination of flavours and perfect for party snacks!

Maggie said...

I envy your pastry - mine always comes out of a packet! They look truly scrumptious.