Sunday 23 February 2014

Toscakaka (Caramel Almond Cake)

This cake is perfect for an almond fan like me. Can’t find a way to get them into the actual sponge? No biggie, just chuck a thick caramel drenched layer of them on top instead. Problem solved. DSC_0089The name alone tempted me to this cake – both the Scandinavian version (Toscakaka is too much fun to say) and the English translation. Caramel, almond and cake are 3 great words on their own but put them all together in one recipe and I knew I was in for a treat. I was proved right whilst making the butterscotch sauce to coat the almonds, when I had to be highly restrained because ohmygoodness it smelt and tasted incredible! The end result is quite a dense cake, almost Madeira-like in texture, with a thick crunchy and sweet layer of almonds packed on top. Surprisingly, considering the amount of butterscotch involved, this cake is not very rich and worryingly easy to have more than just the one slice. You can find the recipe here – I didn’t make any changes except from not including any vanilla or coffee in the topping because, well… I forgot. Enjoy!DSC_0087

10 comments:

Manu said...

Lucy, this cake looks so yummy!
Xox

George @ Culinary Travels said...

That cake looks divine Lucy. I could dive right in :)

The Caked Crusader said...

I think I made something similar to this but you've definitely packed more almonds into (or rather onto!) it - yum!

La Table De Nana said...

Excited to try..I can never have too many almond cake rescipes..Thanks Lucy!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Beautiful and extremely tempting!

Have a wonderful week,

Rosa

Maggie said...

A delicious sounding cake - I like all of those flavours and topping a cake with flaked almonds is the perfect way to use them.

Poires au Chocolat said...

It looks lovely - I'm so pleased you like the recipe. I'm interested that you found the cake dense or Madeira-like as I'd describe it as light and fluffy?

Jo said...

This looks fantastic! Love the sound of almond and caramel together, mmmmm.

Ulla said...

I've loved Toscakakku as we say in Finnish since I was a child. Rather long time that is. My grandmother used to bake it using chopped almond instead of sliced. More goodies on top that is. Perhaps it's time to bake one myself.

Dewi said...

Another delicious creation. Love that caramel tempting look!