I don’t really know why but I did really enjoy this recipe and now know it pretty much off by heart. You just combine the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another and then gently fold the wet into dry. Finally, being extremely careful not to over mix, you fold in the blackberries.
You don’t need to grease the tins (I used my Jamie Oliver silicone muffin pan) and they pop out really easily. The first time I made them I didn’t have any buttermilk so I used plain yogurt thinned slightly with milk until it was the consistency of buttermilk. The other two times I used regular buttermilk but they both worked perfectly. The original recipe calls for the zest 1 orange per batch, but eve when I halved the amounts of everything else I kept one whole orange, because a)it was silly to grate just half one orange and b) I like them extra fruity. I would use 2 oranges for the whole batch in future.
I liked how the blackberries leaked out juice and made the mix have purply streaks, and then cooked to stain the muffin around it all pretty and pink! Go to the Good Food website for the recipe.