Tuesday 18 January 2011

Back In The Kitchen

Today was my first time back baking in the kitchen since long before Christmas. It felt good to be back: creaming butter and sugar, weighing out flour, fetching the eggs and scales. Tying up my apron strings, switching on the oven. Dusting off the KitchenAid and examining the recipe. Manically charging my little pink camera so I can grab a decent photo before the light goes. I've definitely missed this.DSCF8281 The recipe today had to be quick and easy, and sweet – because its January and a pick me up at 4pm is always necessary. This cake was definitely a good choice! It is a Date, Orange and Almond cake and combines the sweet softness of the dates with citrus zing and nutty background. Very moreish! 


The amounts of ingredients seemed worryingly large for this cake – 300g of butter anyone? – and I thought I would end up with a massive cake that my family wouldn’t be able to finish. However, whilst this cake is large, it isn’t as large as the mixture may originally seem, and stays incredibly moist for several days. The top and edges of this cake form a crunchy biscuit-style texture which makes a delicious contrast to the soft cake within. Oh, writing about this makes me feel I definitely need another slice….You can find the recipe here – enjoy!

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

this cake looks delicious and moist!

Cheers,

Rosa

La Table De Nana said...

It looks so good..:) Thank you for the link too:)

Rhiannon Bosse said...

Oh Lucy! You never cease to amaze me :) Way to go, sounds delish! xo

Faith said...

Glad to see you're back in the kitchen, Lucy! The bread looks wonderful and what a great combo of flavors!

Dewi said...

Date, citrus, almond, it's very Moreish indeed. Definitely drool worthy.

The Caked Crusader said...

Looks a great texture - really dense but not at all heavy. Really like the sound of the flavour combination too

Lynne Daley said...

So nice to hear from you again, Lucy. Your date, orange and almond cake has all my favorite flavors rolled into one. I could devour yours in one setting! Yummy!