Monday 3 January 2011

Stollen Swirls

I made these before Christmas, and the post I’d written about them was pre-Christmas themed. That post never got posted and so new words had to be written. Except, why not keep it simple? It is New Year, a period when everybody is meant to be eating healthy salads and vegetables in order to get over festive excess (although who really does?). So, my main stollen point is: the swirls  were good, but I think could be a easily improved to make them so much better. DSCF8265 I’ve never attempted making the classic stollen before so I was eager to give it a go this year. This recipe was a little bit different and as I can never resist anything involving marzipan the baking began. The end result was tasty, they made the house smell gorgeous and the recipe worked perfectly. My key adaptation would be instead of forming a marzpian log down the centre of the swirls, roll it out into a thin layer on top of the dough and then add the fruit. This way, just like here, the marzipan would melt and go toffee-ish and impart its flavour across the whole swirl. Yum. I’d also up the fruit levels, and cut the rolls thinner so its less plain doughy. Failing that, I’d flavour the dough with spices like cinnamon to give this extra punch. Double Yum. You can find the recipe here, enjoy :)DSCF8272

7 comments:

Dewi said...

Happy New Year Lucy. What a great version of Stollen.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those are interesting and must be divine! I love the idea.

Cheers,

Rosa

La Table De Nana said...

Happy New Year Lucy!

I think yours are beautiful..I would add cinnamon too:)

Danielle said...

Salads are good, but not if they're eaten everyy single day. These could probably be eaten everyday and I'd never get sick of them, they look really good!(:

Faith said...

I am the same way, dear Lucy...I can never resist marzipan either! Your stollen swirls are lovely!

Rhiannon Bosse said...

Happy New Year Lucy!! Your recipes keep getting better and better with each and every post :) Here's to a fabulous 2011!! Keep smiling, gorgeous xo

aionaccount said...

Deliciously inviting and perfect for any tea party this cold season. Blessed New Year to you! Looking forward for your posts.