Sunday 6 April 2014

Almond Shortbreads

After a brief break, I find the easiest way to get back my baking mojo is to look to favourites for inspiration. Favourite flavours – anything almond. Favourite bake for quickest gratification – cookies. Favourite author for recipes that always work – Nigel Slater. These shortbreads couldn’t fail!DSC_0074These may look like fairly standard cookies, but they’re hiding a fairly delicious secret in the form of a soft marzipan filling. I’ve seen this concept before with shortbreads stuffed with chocolate or caramel but visions of leaking biscuits and dough soldered to trays with mounds of burnt sugar meant I’d never tried it. However I trusted Nigel and figured that a firmer filling like marzipan at least would not be anywhere as messy if spillage did occur. Luckily the recipe didn’t let me down and the result was delicious! The filling was not massively distinguishable from the rest of the cookie but ensured they all had a really soft, almost cake like centre. The only changes I would make if I were to make these again would be to leave out the lemon and add a few drops of almond essence to the shortbread mixture so that the flavours weren’t competing and the almond could really shine. Other than that, I can’t complain as these were very moreish and did not last long! You can find the recipe here – enjoy!DSC_0069

8 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Lovely to see your post..
I do believe you if u say terrific..marzipan..yum..Thank you!
You must be almost finished?Almost? This year at least?

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

Oh yummy- I have a weakness for almond and marzipan!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love Nigel Slater and these cookies look wonderful!

Cheers,

Rosa

The Caked Crusader said...

These look dangerous- I could eat a shocking amount of these!

Gloria Baker said...

I love marzipan these look delicious Lucy!

Jo said...

Mmmmmm, looks like there's going to be a fight between me and Caked Crusader as to who could eat the most of these, haha! Love your plates too Lucy!

Trisha said...

These look so delicious and i love the photos x

Dewi said...

You always has delicious cookie to display. Love this shortbread too. Though I never tried it with almond, I am sure is delicious.