Monday 14 April 2014

Easter Currant Biscuits

I don’t have a very good track record of themed baking. Christmas I can cope with, as it’s basically stretched over a whole month and padded out by lots of days off. Other than that, I’m never good at remembering to bake for specific occasions – Halloween, St Patricks Day, Shrove Tuesday and Valentines Day (aside from the odd brownie) all come and go every year before I’ve had a chance to get the scales out. I wanted this Easter to be different so this post is the first of two fab Easter bakes!DSC_0088I didn’t know why currant biscuits are so tied in with Easter and the research I did gave several different suggestions – that they were given after Church on Easter Sunday in packages of 3 to represent the Holy Trinity, that the rich ingredients marked the end of Lent and fasting, that the tradition originated in the West Country – who knows! Recipes also differ with variations from county to county, so I stuck with Mary Berry. They turned out softer than I was imagining and slightly different to the crunchy Fruit Shortcakes you buy in shops but moreish and perfect with a cup of tea nonetheless. The only changes I made were to do half currants, half sultanas instead of all currants and I realised just after putting them in the oven that the zest of an orange would be a nice addition. You can find the recipe here (I only made the fruited half) – enjoy!DSC_0091`

7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I bet they are delicious!
have a wonderful Easter Lucy~

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love those biscuits! Yours look delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

Anna Sorokina said...

Yummy!

I`ll be happy if we follow to each other!Just let me know in my blog)
smtpants.blogspot.com

Karen S Booth said...

I lOVE these Traditional Easter biscuits and I remember my grandmother used to make them for our Easter tea! Karen

corina said...

They look lovely and you can almost always trust a Mary Berry recipe.

Dewi said...

Look absolutely moreish. I'd love to try the recipe. Thank you sweet Lucy!

Maggie said...

How lovely to see Easter Biscuits on a blog:) I think they are always a winner.