Saturday 30 August 2008

Blackberry Muffins

My final blackberry recipe of the season – and a good one to round them all up. I have made one full batch of 12 yummy muffins, and two half batches of this recipe now which makes 24 muffins for 3 people in less than a week. Proof indeed that these are tasty.
I don’t really know why but I did really enjoy this recipe and now know it pretty much off by heart. You just combine the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another and then gently fold the wet into dry. Finally, being extremely careful not to over mix, you fold in the blackberries.
You don’t need to grease the tins (I used my Jamie Oliver silicone muffin pan) and they pop out really easily. The first time I made them I didn’t have any buttermilk so I used plain yogurt thinned slightly with milk until it was the consistency of buttermilk. The other two times I used regular buttermilk but they both worked perfectly. The original recipe calls for the zest 1 orange per batch, but eve when I halved the amounts of everything else I kept one whole orange, because a)it was silly to grate just half one orange and b) I like them extra fruity. I would use 2 oranges for the whole batch in future.



I liked how the blackberries leaked out juice and made the mix have purply streaks, and then cooked to stain the muffin around it all pretty and pink! Go to the Good Food website for the recipe.

4 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Great looking muffins Lucy!!! I am baking friands right now, but I could go for one of those muffins of yours. I do have some blackberries just waiting for me to do something with them!

Steph said...

Muffins never go that quickly in my house! I want to try baking with blackberries now.. the muffins look bursting with them. Is that clotted cream by the way.. I can't stop thinking about it since those amazing scones at Harrrods!

Lucy said...

Marie - try the muffins!

Steph - they were chock-a-block with blackberries! When I weighed them out I thought it wouldnt be nearly enough but when you mix them in you realise it is perfect. The cream, unfortunately, is just extra thick double cream!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Those muffins look wonderful! I wish I could find some decent blackberries around here so that I could make some.