Saturday 15 August 2009

Hokey Pokey Ice Cream!

Or, as it should otherwise be known…a bowl of pure joy :)

34Like a lot of bloggers around this time of year, the summer weather has not been perfect for turning on the oven and baking away like crazy (although I say that, but our British summer currently consists of plenty of showers!). Therefore, as I still like to while away the time in the kitchen: I turn to ice cream. And not just any ice-cream, hokey pokey ice cream!!

38 I don’t know if hokey-pokey goes by the same name in America or Australia, so basically it is honeycomb. Everyone knows honeycomb, right? Golden syrup+sugar=caramel. Mix caramel with baking soda, let harden – honeycomb! Pure sugar really, but so very good!

40After the honeycomb is hardened, you simply mix it with whipped cream and condensed milk and freeze. No churning or stirring needed – just chuck it in a box in the freezer until you want it. And my, will you want it! You could eat this mixture by the un-frozen spoonful [in fact I almost did :) ]

18

The delightful recipe was from this Thane Prince book, one I have not cooked from before but plan to experiment with more ice creams and recipes from it over the summer if they all turn out like this one! So honeycomb lovers: MAKE this ice cream! And even if you’re not, this may convert people with its rich and creamy glory :)

Honeycomb Ice-cream, from Simply Good Food by Thane Prince
This ice-cream does not need stirrings as it freezes.
Use within ten days.

5tbsps white sugar
2tbsps golden syrup
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
600ml (1pint) whipping cream
1 large tin condensed milk

1) Start with the honeycomb. Place the sugar and syrup in a saucepan and cook over a low heat until the sugar melts. Now boil rapidly until the caramel is a deep gold in colour.

2) Remove from the heat and sift over the bicarbonate of soda. Stir the frothy mixture, then pour on to a lined baking sheet. Allow to cool, then break into smallish chunks.

3) Whip the cream until floppy, then beat in the condensed milk. Continue beating until the mixture is quite stiff. Fold in the pieces of honeycomb plus any crumbs, then scrape into a freezer-proof bowl/box, and freeze for about 8 hours or overnight.

8 comments:

Steph said...

Ever since my last batch of honeycomb had people telling me it was going to yank off their teeth, I haven't made any since. Your icecream looks so good! I think it's cool that you don't have to make it w/ a machine or stir it by hand every hour of so.

Susan @ SGCC said...

This looks amazing, Lucy! Caramel and ice cream are two of my favorite things in the world. Together, they are the ultimate!

Ash said...

I need some of that ice cream right now! It's crazy hot here in Canada!
I love Hokey pokey, great choice!!

Palidor said...

Although I've seen honeycomb in some specialty candy stores, I've never seen honeycomb ice cream. I like how this recipe can be made without an ice cream maker.

Dewi said...

Lucy dahlng, I've always thought honeycomb was a real honeycomb, you know from the bees, lol. Anyway, I am so tempted making this hokey-pokey (sounds so good when you said it out loud, try it), so I am bookmarking this. Miammm!~

Rhiannon Bosse said...

ohhh this sounds lovely right about now Lucy :) Nice work. I have yet to tackle something like this!!

Snooky doodle said...

what an interesting blog! this honeycomb icecream must be delicious! iI go mad for honey comb :)

Susan @ My Wholefood Family Essentials said...

Hokey pokey is my absolute favourite icecream! never seen such an easy recipe for it though. Thanks Lucy!