Sunday 3 January 2010

Gingerbread House

For a good couple of years now, my family has intended to make a gingerbread house. We have seen the kits and finished products, the pretty snow-icing and sweetie decorations. Every year, “we should really make one of those”. Every year, we somehow don’t get round to it. Not anymore!
DSCF5716This is my little gingerbread house! I was nervous about making it, hearing recipe stories about collapses and breakages but thankfully none were had with my gingerbread baby! My sister and I built and decorated it carefully, and the sturdy biscuit survived a trip from London to Suffolk and back again. These houses are so much fun to decorate as you can truly let your imagination run because every house is an individual creation.
DSCF5691This turned out to be a very fun Christmas bake. My own house was filled with gorgeous gingerbread scents and then in the corner sat this cheery and colourful gingerbread cottage. So cute!
DSCF5692
Next year I will be definitely making a gingerbread house again, and would like to experiment with it more. I’d like to try melting boiled sweets for windows, cutting out doors, making a different shape (tall and thin or a long gingerbread bungalow), stringing fairy lights in the inside – so much! Perhaps this will take a couple of Christmasses…
DSCF5711 The Daring Bakers December challenge was a gingerbread house so no doubt you have seen many many creations these last few weeks! But if you still want to see more (they are all so beautiful!) click here. I used this gingerbread house recipe, which is apparently best for shaping and creating not eating – but it didn’t stop me and it tasted delicious! Also, with this recipe you get a LOT of leftover dough. I think you could freeze it for cookies another time, but I just created a whole forest of snowy trees and a family of groovy people to surround the house. Hope you all had a wonderful New Year – Venice photos coming soon. X
DSCF5718
DSCF5723

14 comments:

Dewi said...

Happy New Year to you and your family Lucy. May this year bring lots of happiness.
Cheers,
elra

p.s
you did well on this month challenge. Mine was a disaster.

La Table De Nana said...

Bravo!! It IS adorable..I see you liked making other things too..Your rock star is cute too..or is it a Country Western star?

Happy New Year Lucy~

Dewi said...

Absolutely gorgeous Lucy! I think you re pretty talented.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a cute little house! I love it!

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...

Hello Lucy, thank you for visiting my blog and introducing me to yours. I like your gingerbread house, I have only started Daring Bakers this month so didn't make one but I hope to get around to it next year!

Faith said...

What an adorable gingerbread house! Happy New Year, Lucy! I can't wait for your Venice pics!

Ash said...

I love it so much Lucy!! It's just adorable!
I was so sad I missed this challenge! I've been so busy I totally forgot!!

Can't wait to see your photo's of Venice!!

:)

Rhiannon Bosse said...

Wonderful Lucy!! Just wonderful!! Hope your holidays were magical! Be sure to stop by my new blog if you haven't already! I've made a move and transition :) xx Have a good week lovely!

linda said...

Lovely gingerbread house!
Pretty Venice pictures btw...

Irina said...

Lucy, thank you so much for the comment in my blog.
Your christmas house is gorgeous! You've done a great job!
I also made a gingerbread house this year, if you're interested you can see it here http://sunshine.collapse.bg/en/gingerbread-house/ :)

Have a nice day!

Steph said...

Your gingerbread house is so cute! I think it would such a cool idea to make your own windows, but boiling sugar scares me.

Snafflesmummy said...

Wow that is fab. I have only just discovered your blog and already have lots of recipies starred in my google reader.

I made some cute little gingerbread hosues that hook over the edge of a mug.

If you want to take a peek here is the link

http://snafflesmummy.blogspot.com/2010/01/gingerbread-houses-how-can-girl-resist.html

Mr. P said...

This is the best thing ever! Maybe I should make a summer house? I can't wait until Christmas!

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

Oh my, this is quite AMAZING. Well done, it's really good! It gives me hope for the day I hope to make one :)