Sunday 13 June 2010

Rosemary and Olive Oil Focaccia

Recently, my message was opinions can change. Today, my message is much more basic but just as important: Always Read The Recipe Thoroughly.DSCF6966Unlike when I first made cinnamon rolls and thought the dough was so lovely and easy to work with. Turned out I’d forgotten the egg. Or when my friend E made gingerbread men and simply forgot to add the flour. And definitely not like today, when I didn’t read to add most of the water to my dough and simply poured it all in nicely, before adding an extra two tablespoons of olive oil. Smooth. DSCF6967This not-so-clever mistake then led to fifteen minutes of kneading and liberal additions of flour every now and then. Gradually, slowly, my sticky determined-to-get-everywhere dough morphed into a smooth, calm and elastic dough ball.DSCF6976 Then it was ready to get to a warm place, rise, be taken out, stretched out onto a tray, doused liberally in olive oil and salt and set back to its warm place. After a sprinkle of chopped rosemary and twenty minutes in the oven, everything was ready. The family settled down to watch Great British Menu, everybody with a generous square of bread on their plate. Crunchy on top, soft and chewy within. Scented and flavoured with olive oil, salt and rosemary – simple but classic. I think this may be one of my favourite things I have made, simply because I couldn’t stop eating it! Find the recipe here, (the dough recipe is linked to on the page as Classic White Loaf) and my only adaption of course was to leave out the red onions. Enjoy!DSCF6973

7 comments:

Dewi said...

Olive and rosemary perfumed this beautiful savory bread. Foccacia is one of my favorite! Well done Lucy!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A beautiful focaccia! Very smooth looking. Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Ash said...

I once made muffins and totally forgot to add the sugar... I couldn't even mend those. haha

Even after all that hard work the bread looks amazing!! I wouldn't mind a piece!

Faith said...

I agree, reading a recipe fully before starting is very helpful. Your focaccia looks like it came out perfect though! Love the classic flavor combo!

Jessica said...

Oh, I'm so guilty of need reading the recipe thoroughly or carefully ahead of time so I feel your pain here. The water to dough thing has happened to me too many times! But, it looks like it all worked out in the end because your focaccia looks seriously delicious.

Nisrine@Dinners and Dreams said...

The bread is beautiful. I love herbs in bread. Rosemary sounds particularly seducing here

Fran said...

Can almost smell this beautiful focaccia! Looks like it all turned out well. Makes me want to bake..even in the heat.