Sunday 26 February 2012

Chicken Pasties

As this blog clearly shows, savoury cooking is not my thing like sweet cooking and baking is. I do cook and enjoy savoury food, of course, but it rarely features on this blog because I don’t often stretch myself or try new things as often as I do with desserts. Something I rely on in savoury cooking quite often is chicken as it’s an easy staple we always have in our house and there’s so many ways to cook it. As this is a baking blog, I also often use pastry in my savoury baking. Today I combined the two to make jumbo chicken and carrot pasties.DSCF8925I’d had these saved in my Savoury To Make file for a long time, and one blustery day I just really had a craving for a properly hearty dinner. I made them in a few stages – the pastry and filling one day, and then basically cooked them to order the next day whenever somebody wanted one, just rolling out a wodge of pastry and forming the pasty and cooking one or two for that meal. I originally found them on this blog here where I think they were made for a picnic but I made mine much bigger. They were perhaps a bit too big – but they were filling and delicious! I added a slosh of cream to the filling and think perhaps they could have done with another small chicken breast, but overall I was pleased with how easy and successful they were. They have piqued my interest in savoury explorations! Enjoy :)DSCF8929

5 comments:

Jo said...

Delicious! There's something very homely and comforting about a pastie. Perfect for all the cold weather at the moment. I also love your Emma Bridgewater plate :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Delicious pasties! I love savory food.

Cheers,

Rosa

The Caked Crusader said...

It is my honest belief that everything is better when it's wrapped in pastry! This looks lovely

Pistachio and Rose said...

Yum, that looks right up my street. How delicous, I could happily eat one right now!

Faith said...

These look so hearty and comforting! It's a dreary day here and these would be the perfect comfort food for dinner! ;)