Monday 15 April 2013

Marshmallows

I’ve spoken before about my huge list of bookmarked sweet recipes to make. I reckon I add about 10 recipes to it a week, and cook about 1 or 2… meaning that list is just going to keep on growing! Something I have wanted to try for ages and that has been popping up all over the blogosphere is homemade marshmallows. Just like tablet, I’d been putting off making marshmallows due to visions of searing hot sugar syrup and my KitchenAid melting with the stress, but just like tablet it proved much simpler than I thought!DSCF9355I made these with my friend Emily after being sent some gelatine by Dr Oetker. Making them together meant that any stress was shared between the two of us and it was much more fun, it really reminded me to bake with friends more. I know that there are lots of wacky marshallow flavours out there – I saw a passion fruit flavour recipe recently that sounded incredible – but we stuck with plain vanilla. I slightly regretted this as the vanilla doesn’t exactly balance out the insane sweetness of marshmallows, but our boiling sugar syrup induced nerves meant we played it safe! As I mentioned, with careful concentration these weren’t tricky and went without a hitch. The results tasted like we wanted and imagined – squishy with an ever so slightly drier top and of course very sweet. I would be open to trying out some of the crazier flavours in the future, particularly playing around with sharper flavours and fruit as even for me these resulted in a pretty extreme sugar high. However I think the vanilla version is a great way to start for a marshmallow beginner. Also, I think the main fun of marshmallows is that you can do this…
DSCF9354Chocolate fudge cookie + toasted marshmallow = the ultimate S’more.  Not traditional, but so good! I think these marshmallows might even taste best when they are toasted – sticky, gooey, with the perfect burnt charred top…who could resist! You can find the marshmallow recipe here. I followed it pretty much to the letter apart from a dash of pink food colouring and dipping some of the cut edges (where it is most sticky) in different sprinkles for some colour, so my only note would be that I got about 40 decent sized marshmallows out of the mixture instead of 25 – those must have been huuge! One quick note before you go – check out my brand new pages at the top of my sidebar. I have finally got round to doing a proper About Me page, and also a page explaining my ongoing Homemade Shop Classics Challenge, which of course these marshmallows are included in. Go and have a read and let me know what you think! Enjoy :)

12 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Gorgeous marshmallows. So much tastier than the bought ones.

Cheers,

Rosa

La Table De Nana said...

So cute the way you dressed them up:)

Jo said...

Well done on conquering your marshmallow fear, they look great. I love the dipped sprinkled edge. I'm still a bit chicken to try homemade marshmallows but I'm sure I'll get round to it.

Dewi said...

You beat me Lucy :) I have yet try to make it myself. They looks delicious and pretty.

Laura Dembowski said...

Homemade marshmallows are my favorite thing to make. I actually made more today. I do not find them to be overly sweet, just waaaay better than store bought. I use both vanilla and vanilla bean in mine, so perhaps that makes the difference. If you're looking to check out another version, try the ones on my blog. Love the sprinkles on yours!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar said...

I love homemade marshmallows! They're so easy!!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen said...

They look perfect! I made homemade marshmallows three days ago, and feel exactly as you describe it in this post! I will definitely make them again and try flavors.

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

Those marshmallows are so pretty! And yes, I definately agree, the best thing about marshmallows is S'MORES! :D

The Caked Crusader said...

I keep meaning to try homemade marshmallows- I bet they're so much nicer!

Maggie said...

I've never made marshmallows - you have encouraged me to have a go - I will make this a rainy day activity.

Barbara Bakes said...

How fun to make marshmallows with a friend. I need to try a homemade marshmallow toasted.

Judit + Corina @WineDineDaily said...

We adore S'Mores and your marshmallows look fabulous!