Sunday 30 June 2013

Red Pepper Sausage Rolls

I’m currently working at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, serving in the umpire’s restaurant.  I’m essentially a posh dinner lady (think the mass catering challenges in Masterchef) but it’s actually really enjoyable, soaking up the Wimbledon atmosphere and listening to the stories of the different umpires. The umpires come from all over the world to judge the tennis – from Sweden, Italy, Australia, America, China and more. One bizarre fact I have realised whilst serving them at lunch is that many of the ones travelling from further afield have never tried a sausage roll before! I wasn’t aware that sausage rolls were a particularly English thing, but time and time again this week I have watched as the umpires point curiously at the sausage rolls and ask me to explain exactly what they are before nervously deciding to try one out. As a result, this week’s recipe is in honour of them!DSC_0202I’m not going to lie, I made these ages ago. I was going through my photos on my computer and discovered these hidden away in an obscure file, dated November 2012. 7 months have passed between the baking and the posting of this recipe, for no explainable reason as they were so good!DSC_0192Sausage plait is a midweek favourite at my house (I’m surprised I’ve never blogged it) and is something I’ve gradually introduced all my friends to as they have come for dinner at mine or I had it in my school packed lunch. It has also recently been made more famous here in the UK due to Nanny Pat frequently making them on Towie. Essentially, a sausage plait is just a giant sausage roll that can be sliced and shared, but this Alice Hart recipe shakes it up a little with some added flavour from sweet roast peppers. The result was really delicious, super juicy, bursting with flavour – I think the umpires would be a big fan! You can find the link to the recipe here – enjoy!sausage roll

7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

My husband and next door neighbor..avid Wimbledon fans:) I just told Jacques..:)

Great looking sausage dish~
Have a super duper summer Lucy.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Scrumptious and perfect for taking on a picnic!

Cheers,

Rosa

Dewi said...

Hmm, that look pretty appetizing. Love sausage!

Anonymous said...

How fabulous working at Wimbledon - the sausage dish looks AMAZING!
Mary x

Kezia said...

Working at Wimbledon must be great fun! Lovely looking sausage rolls.

sweetpea family said...

Scrummy hope you have had fun at Wimbledon x

The Caked Crusader said...

Yum - nothing bad ever comes of wrapping meat in puff pastry!