Sunday 7 March 2010

Baked Pineapple with Almonds

DSCF6444 Look at that blue sky. When you see a clear sky like that, how hot do you think it is out there? 15’C? 20’C? Wrong. Out there, it was a bone-chilling 4’C. Yup – deceiving weather. The time between winter and spring is often a funny one to cook in. Some days its freezing cold and you want December/January style food – comfort food at its best. Other days its warm and sunny and you want June/July food – salads and fresh fruit/flavours. That is precisely why Dan Lepard created this pineapple dish – perfect for the switch between seasons. DSCF6404Even, if like the sky photo above, its a sunny day but freezing, this pudding will hit the spot. The tropical juicy pineapple feels right for the sunshine, but the sponge on top adds the comfort needed to block out the cold. Genius idea. DSCF6402Shamefully before this pudding I had not cooked using fresh pineapple before and, unsurprisingly, it was so much more full of flavour than the tinned stuff. Definitely a fruit I will be returning too – perhaps with this pudding minus the sponge plus a big pile of yoghurt for breakfast. I varied the recipe a little because I had no brandy, and thought that the orange flavours of Cointreau would partner the pineapple nicely. Happily, it did and the pudding was as delish as hoped. Like Dan Lepard says, it is definitely best on day one straight after it comes after the oven – the next day it tends to go a little stodgy as the sponge soaks up those pineappley juices. So whether its hot, cold or impossible to tell from your computer screen, head over here to grab the recipe and get cooking. :) DSCF6393

11 comments:

Bob said...

Sounds fantastic, perfect for breakfast.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is a pudding I love! yours looks delicious!

Nice blue sky. Here, it was grey and -2 C. I can't wait to eat spring food...

Cheers,

Rosa

Dewi said...

Wow, that is pretty chilly out there. But, I can totally understand what you mean by the weather can be deceiving sometimes. It's sunny out here too as write this, but when I go outside, it's windy and cold. Better to stay inside and bake huh? Wish I could have found your recipe earlier, I just bake some simple yogurt cake. Look simply delicious Lucy!
Have a wonderful Sunday.
elra

La Table De Nana said...

I see almonds and pineapple..That says it all for me..IT's beautiful here the same blue skies as you:) It's our best March i think in my 56 years..
Lucy..have you seen the mini pineapples? I just did this week..They would be you:)
My girlfriend and I thought they were the most adorable pineapples we had ever seen..

Faith said...

I love your idea of topping this with yogurt and having it for breakfast -- sounds like the perfect way to start the day!

Sunday said...

Yum this looks like something my family would definitely enjoy!

Apples and Butter said...

This is the hardest time of year. It is starting to get beautiful out, but it is still so cold. Hold on for spring!

Jessica said...

I hate it when it looks like it should be balmy and warm outside of my windows but it's actually really cold.
The pineapple cake looks like a perfect way to channel warm weather, and it looks so tasty, too! I love Dan Lepard's recipes, they're wonderful. I also really, really like fresh pineapple, so I'll have to try this soon.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I love finding blogs that I didn't know about before, and your blog looks wonderful. I can't wait to read some more of your posts.

Ash said...

I love pineapple, so I know I'll love this!! Can wait for spring!!

Dinners and Dreams said...

Dense and so appealing and certainly moisy with all the juicy pineapple. Will try that for sure.

Nisrine

James said...

Pineapple and frangipane - what could be better. You could scoop out the pineapple shell put the pineapple and frangipane back in that to cook - would look different as it was taken to the table.