Saturday 20 March 2010

Quiche Lorraine

Living in London, it’s not all that often that you get to make use of local ingredients. We have a garden where we can grow tomatoes and there’s an apple tree – but getting produce from nearby farms or orchards or something, not really! Therefore an extra reason we enjoy going to our house in Suffolk is the chance to embrace cooking with fresh and local food.DSCF6427 DSCF5098For example, this quiche. The bacon – from the butcher up the road, from the pig farm we always drive past as we approach our house. The eggs – from Eddie the Egg Man (note: names have been changed :D) and his Honesty Box table outside his house. (An Honesty Box is where he leaves his eggs and a jam jar outside his house, trusting everyone to leave the right amount of money in the jar.) Both the eggs and bacon, I think, helped make this quiche extra special.DSCF6435I hadn’t made a quiche ever before, and don’t often eat it. But the time had rolled back round for a savoury bake and as I enjoy working with pastry I thought that it would be an interesting classic to cover. I was surprised with the simplicity – the filling takes seconds to make so the main time is spent on the pastry and final cooking. Although I had a few kerfuffles with making this recipe fit my tin, in the end I enjoyed the result. The filling was velvety soft, spiked with the salty lardons and sharp Cheddar. Accompanied by cherry tomatoes and enjoyed in the sun – pretty perfect. DSCF6421

14 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is one of my favorites quiches! It looks delicious!

Cheers and have a lovely weekend,

Rosa

La Table De Nana said...

I love quiche and your area in Suffolk sounds dear..What's an Honesty table Lucy? I have no clue?

Dewi said...

I can imagine how expensive it is having a big lot in London, but luckily for some they have their country house somewhere, like your family, chose Suffolk. Must be beautiful there. Anyway, love your quiche, nothing beat the best ingredient for the most simple quiche, right. well done Lucy, I am sure your family love this.
Have a wonderful weekend,
elra

Bob said...

Lovely. Local ingredients definitely make a difference too, you can taste how fresh they are.

kimberleyblue said...

I find food always tastes better when you use local ingredients. But what is an honesty box?

Your quiche looks great - the filling looks like it's exactly the perfect texture. Eggs, bacon and cheese, what could be better?

Faith said...

Quiche Lorraine is my #1 favorite quiche! It makes such a beautiful, tasty meal for any time of day. Yours looks like it came out perfect!

Nisrine@Dinners and Dreams said...

miam miam. J'adore la quiche lorraine. Quel délice!
I like what I see so much I didn't realize I commented French:)

verity said...

Quiche is great as once you master the basic, you can put whatever you like in it. I found myself with some leftover pastry at the weekend after making a bakewell tart, so put it in some mini quiche tins, whipped up some cream and eggs, and used goats cheese and cherry tomatoes. Yum!

Ash said...

Love your quiche and what a great way to use local ingredients. I can't wait for more local produce to come my way!! Summer markets here i come!!

Kathy said...

Hey Lucy, Hope all is well! I have a friend at my job that gave us some bacon and sausage and pork chops from a 575 lb pig they had. The taste is a lot better and the texture more tender. I can't wait for our Summer tomatoes. Have a great Summer.

Anonymous said...

your quiche looks wonderful, especially with all those fresh ingredients in!

I used to live in a place called Ockley and a lady there used to make all the lovely jams and leave them out with an honesty box to pay. I miss the gooseberry elderflower jam mmm

Apples and Butter said...

I love making quiches and quiche lorraine is such a wonderful classic combination of flavors. Your house in Suffolk sounds like a magical place. I need and Eddie the Egg Man round the corner.

James said...

Nice work. Curing your own bacon is the next step....

Pen Pen said...

Ur a VERY good writer! I'm impressed!! U should think about doing some short stories or something-I helped judge a national scholastic writing competition for 16-18 year olds over here in the states, and ur descriptions in this blog are better than the vast majority of the work that I read...

...and ur WAY too young to be baking at the level u are at too!!
Sheesh! :)